Re: refrigerator car heaters/reefers

Tony Thompson

Tom Olsen wrote:
PFE heaters were marked with their name on the heater jacket. I have a
buddy who has a PFE heater in his basement and it is clearly marked as
such. The one that he has is about three feet high and about 1.5 feet
in diameter. Not exactly something that would walk off on it's own!
This would be a charcoal heater; see pages 347 and 412 in the PFE book, 2nd edition for photos. The alcohol heaters which replaced them were much smaller. Naturally PFE marked them, but I bet there was a steady "leakage" rate.

Publishers of books on railroad history