GN 7'9-10" IH wood Xm's

Earl Tuson

In 1931, the Great Northern had a substantial fleet of 27,642 box cars. A
majority portion of these cars had similar dimensions , reported at 40' or
40'1" IL, 8'7" IW, and 7'9" to -10" IH. These cars can be further divided into
4 groups based on underframe and specific dimensions.
Five series featured (presumably) wood underframes, totaling 7790 cars(a
note in the Register also states that "A number of cars in (these) series are
equipped with steel underframes.") Two series are listed as having steel center
sills with 1379 cars included. An example of these, with wood ends and arch
bar trucks, is shown in the 1919 CBC, albeit a car with a number from a series
which was no longer listed in 1931. One unique series had a hopper bottom, and
Nehrich published a Charles Winter photo of one of these in his FCG (95.2,)
showing wood ends and Andrews trucks. All of these cars, with one exception,
had eave heights of 11'10" and were 12'7" to the top of the running boards.
The one series of WUF cars that differed was curiously listed as being 11'12"!
to the eaves, and 12'8" to the running board.
Lastly, the GN rostered 4 series, totalling 10459 cars, all equipped with
SUF, and measuring 12'2" to the eaves and 13' to the running boards.
Cloverhouse sells dry transfers apparently intended to represent this last car
type that feature a front facing goat and a date of 1922.
Nehrich states that some of these cars had Murphy ends, and that Hendrickson
states that many received various steel ends in the twenties, and rode on a
variety of trucks ranging from Andrews to Bettendorf (T) to spring plank ARA's.
Beyond the data I have compiled above, can anyone point me towards other
published material and photographs depicting these cars, and confirm that the
Cloverhouse lettering is correct for these cars in 1931? In fact, am I even
correct in lumping all these cars into one family? Can anyone state with
authority as to what roofs were applied to them, what styles of underframes
they had (beyond the basic type I've listed,) and more about ends? Thank you
in advance for any help you can offer.

Earl Tuson

http://auctions.yahoo.com/