Re: Gould/Tichy tank car

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 15, 2005, at 5:21 AM, Dennis Storzek wrote:

That is what happens when the process becomes the main determinate of
what model will be done. The Gould / Tichy tank car is unique in that
it uses a tank molded in sections in simple (well, highly detailed but
mechanically simple) "open and close" tooling, that is, tooling
without any complicated side pulls. To do this successfully, the
toolmaker needed a prototype with a "four course" tank, a tank made
from four sheets of steel that had seams at the proper points to hide
the model's joints. I'm sure Bill Gould hit upon this idea when he saw
the drawings of the USRA design tank car in the old "Train Shed
Cyclopedia" reprint of the 1919 Car Builders' Cyc. This then was the
prototype that he was going to follow, even when later told that it
hadn't actually ever been constructed.
Dennis's account, as well as his further reflections on the history of toolmaking for injection molding, are entirely accurate and insightful, except for one thing. More than one prototype researcher, on learning through the grapevine that Gould was in the process of developing a tank car model, offered assistance and was rebuffed. Bill Gould told me personally that the identity of the prototype was a secret but that he had all the prototype information he needed (and, by implication, would I please go away and stop bothering him). Egged on by Bob Hundman, he thought the drawings were all he needed and neither Gould nor Hundman realized until after the model was completed that there was no prototype for it.

Richard Hendrickson