Re: PFE Reefer running boards (was especially NP)

Tim O'Connor

Tony, I have two PFE diagrams for the R-40-23 and although both
mention FIVE different hand brakes, TWO different running boards
and even FIVE different draft gears (for 50 permutations total),
they don't say which cars got which!

Tim O'Connor

P.S. Gene, the diagrams come from Dick Harley. I think he did make
copies for sale at one time. That's how I got copies.

The PFE diagram book shows that the R-40-23 class had both
Morton and U.S. Gypsum running boards; the R-40-25 had Apex, Morton,
and Gypsum running boards. I don't have handy the breakdown among car
orders to provide car numbers for each application. The reason
specialties like those were not tabulated in the book is that another
party planned, at the time we published the book, to reprint the PFE
diagram book for sale. As many will realize, that reprint never
occurred.

Tony Thompson