Re: UTLX Tank Cars

Steve and Barb Hile

Here is some additional and corrected information.

UTLX 84999 was, indeed, a one of a kind car. It had a welded tank set on the very common standard UTLX X-3 riveted underframe. So, it could, theoretically be modeled by placing the Red Caboose tank on a Sunshine X-3 underframe. It was built in 1948.

UTLX 49000-49499 were 12000 gallon tanks that look similar to the Red Caboose car, but the tanks are 20% larger. I don't have dimensions, but would wager a guess that the increase was more in diameter than in lenght. They were built as ACF lot 3555A in 1951.

UTLX 39000-39499 were the 10000 gallon tanks the most closely match the Red Caboose car. These 500 cars were ACF lot 3555 in 1951. The underframes were NOT standard design UTLX, but rather more stock ACF.

I hope this helps.

Steve Hile

On Dec 15, 2005, at 6:16 AM, Tim O'Connor wrote:

> Richard Hendrickson wrote
>
>>> Largely true, however UTL bought 500 welded 10K ICC-103Ws from AC&F
>>> in
>>> 1951 (UTLX 49000-49499) that were built to the same AC&F design
>>> modeled by RC. Anyone who models 1951 or later (neither Bruce nor I
>>> do) can use a couple of these models lettered UTLX.
>
> The Red Caboose cars are lettered for 1949, e.g. UTLX #85301. So they
> have to be renumbered and get corrected new dates. Red Caboose also
> gave some of their government cars numbers belonging to GATC tanks.

Tim, that's probably because there is a published builder's photo of
UTLX 84999, which was built late in 1948, and RC "extrapolated" 85000
series numbers on that basis. However, 84999 was a one-off sample car,
and the 49000-49499 series, which were essentially identical, didn't
come along until three years later.

Richard Hendrickson

Train travel in italy North american