Re: Gould/Tichy tank car

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 15, 2005, at 10:33 PM, Tom Casey <tyesac@aol.com> wrote:

... Makes me wonder why [Gould] couldn't salvage some of the tank car
by reissuing the frame under a correct tank.
As Dennis Storzek pointed out, Gould's clever approach to "flat-molding" a tank required a four-course prototype tank. There weren't very many of those, and none that would have been correct on the USRA underframe. So there really was no way to salvage the tooling so that it would model a prototypically correct car. The tragedy was that at the time the Gould tank car model first appeared, it was by far the best engineered and most detailed HO scale freight car ever done, and we would still be singing its praises if only it had represented a prototype that had actually been built, instead of one that never got off the drawing board.

Richard Hendrickson