Re: Sheet Lead

Dean Payne <deanpayne@...>

--- In STMFC@..., "Dave Nelson" <muskoka@c...> wrote:

Repeating myself for the benefit of new list members (this seems like
an annual post), it depends on local law as to whether you can or
cannot get lead from retail outlets. <SNIP>

For those with a few seconds more time to spare and/or a bit less
money, ordinary pennies weigh about a tenth of an ounce and so with >a
dab of adhesive caulk and five minutes time you can make up quite >a
few piles of 2, 3, and 5 penny stacks as weights for future use in
house cars. Besides, what else are you gonna do with all that
copper you got sitting around the house? 8)

Dave Nelson
Dave is correct about the pennies, of course, and I find that is one of
the cheapest ways to weigh a house car, without using steel - that
might interfere with magnetic under-track uncouplers. BTW, there is a
sslight difference between the all-copper pennies and those with a zinc
center. I forget the exact difference, probably not enough to make
your car jump the track, but enough to add another penny or two if you
want to match the NMRA standards exactly.
The thin lead sheet (as has already been mentioned) is useful
specifically for flat cars and gondolas. Specifically, unloaded flat
cars and gondolas, where there is no real place to hide weights. Resin
hoppers (empty) are another issue, having NO real place to hide
weights. I will probably have to "hide" some shot inside the
underframe, but that compromises the (hard won) fidelity to the
prototype. Hey, at least I can run it on my layout... where no one
else will be seeing the bottom (but I know it's there).
Dean Payne