Re: model magazines

cvsne <mjmcguirk@...>

Tony and all:

I am an admirer of Lane Stewart, and it's certainly true that
Bob Brown has done and still does a superb job in quality of
the
magazine. No one, not even MR with all its resources, does
better.

I agree -- I love Lane's stuff, and Joe Crea's as well although I
don't want to model that way myself. (that said, I like Malcolm's
stuff for it's folk-artsy bizzare quality -- but, no, it's not the first
thing I'd point to if someone asked me to show them what a
detailed freight car looked like.

Narrow gauge modelers were really, in many ways, the first
prototype modelers, and the best way to learn how a wood car
was built is to build a PBL or San Juan DRGW box or gondola kit.

I have no specific objection to narrow gauge per se, but I
have to say that article after article in the NG&SL Gazette
continues
to single out funky and moldy and rundown aspects of the
narrow gauge
as well as short lines. Whether it's the natural constituency of
the
magazine, or Brown's preference,
One of the only negative comments I've ever heard about the
Gazette (and I admire Bob as a friend and modeler) is the way
the magazine ignores, or seems to ignore, even to the point of
denying it existed, Colorado narrow gauge. Maybe Bob figures
he covered a lot of Rio Grande in the early days of the magazine,
and doesn't have to now. Personally I'd rather see a detailed look
at Rio Grande rolling stock, or operations on Marshall Pass, than
another funky little 22" line that was used to deliver mud to a dam
site.

Marty McGuirk