Re: model magazines and freight cars

Patrick Wider <pwider@...>

--- In STMFC@..., timboconnor@c... wrote:

Ah, Pat, in the immortal words of someone or other "It's lonely at the top".

Face it, you are at the pinnacle of your hobby, clinging to that windswept peak
with a few hundred other diehards...
Ah, the top of the ziggurat!!!!!!!! Yes, that and a couple of bucks will buy me a ride on the
New York Subway, but not today..........

But you know what? All those other guys
(and gals) who are still slogging through the jungle or relaxing in the meadows
at the base of the mountain are looking up -- and who do they see up there?

You, buddy.
What gals???

The point is that you & Ed & Tom M & Richard H & Tony T, et al are busy creating
a lasting and valuable record. Long after all the crummy model trains have been
disposed of in landfills, I'll wager precious few "museum pieces" will have met
that fate. And the books and publications will grace the shelves of the serious
modelers and yes, even real libraries, for generations to come.
Please tell me what landfill the brass steam locomotive models are going to.......

It's not about numbers. It's never been about numbers. Vendors come and
go, but does it really matter? The whole industry could be recreated from
scratch if it ever came to that, because the ESSENTIAL FACTS have been
put on paper and published.
Do you mean correcting the PS-0 box car terminology thing?? (-:

I would make the argument that home layouts are mostly a diversion from the
serious business of research and modeling! I plan to build a small shelf layout
mainly for testing and break-in as well as simple enjoyment, but I realize now
that I want to be a model builder, not a carpenter.

Tim O'Connor
Why would you build a shelf layout for breaking in models if you didn't have a larger
layout to run them on??????? I'm puzzled.

Seriously......... What changes, if any, would you like to see us make to RP CYC? We're
thinking of more (shorter) articles. More color is out since there aren't that many good
color photos from the '30s, '40s, and even '50s. Plus we can't afford the extra printing
cost. (I bet Ted lost his shirt). The problem with shorter articles is that they tend to grow
in length. Ed and I are constantly fighting space (page number) limitations. I started work
on a "short" article on Milwaukee ribbed-side box cars and it grew in length to encompass
75 pages. Ugh!!! A simple article on lightweight passenger cars (a subject you guy's
hate), took up an entire CYC. Yeah, I know, a bunch of wasted pages.

Pat Wider