Re: model magazines

Thomas M. Olsen <tmolsen@...>

Eric is right concerning magazine content. If no one writes the
article, then there is nothing to publish. I have heard the same
complaints about the PRRT&HS Keystone. I have had a number of people
complaining about content. Some do not like articles about the Long
Island Railroad or complain about not enough contemporary articles about
operations or mid-fifties
steam and diesel articles. They all work under the delusion that the
magazine editor or publisher writes everything and is ignoring their
complaints. When you say, "write something in the area of interest that
you are interested in and submit it" and the response is that they
either 1) do not have any access to any material (even when they have
major libraries and universities in the same town or nearby, or 2) they
do not have time, cannot afford to travel to other locations, museums or
industrial libraries (i.e. Hagley, Pennsylvania State Archives,
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania State Railroad Museum at Strasburg, Pa., etc.)
or any number of other excuses. The bottom line is that no matter what
the editor of the magazine does, it will never satisfy these people.

Fortunately, we have a very competent set of editors for the Keystone
and The Keystone Modeler and a large group of dedicated members who are
willing to share their time (and money when necessary to travel and do
research) to help produce these two magazines which are the
underpinnings of the PRRT&HS.

In closing, if it were not for the modelers and historians that support
this web site and participate in the RPM seminars across the country, we
would all still be pushing the antiquated equipment we started out with
many years ago. It is the constructive nit-pickers that are associated
with the magazines and support this movement, that has made it possible
for the rest of the modelers in this hobby to enjoy the finest equipment
being made at this time. Of course, there is still a lot of room for
improvement. Now having said all that, I will put my soap box away and
retire for the day!

Tom Olsen
7 Boundary Road, West Branch
Newark, Delaware, 19711-7479
(302) 738-4292
tmolsen@...

eabracher@... wrote:

In a message dated 12/21/05 10:18:25 AM, thompsonmarytony@...
writes:

Whether it's the natural constituency of the
magazine, or Brown's preference, I don't know, but it is sure obvious
in issue after issue.

bob only can publish what he gets. If you want other STUFF, submit it.

eric

Yahoo! Groups Links