Re: model magazines and freight cars

Gatwood, Elden <Elden.Gatwood@...>

All interested;

With time increasingly short, there ARE many that will take the route of
buying what prototypically-accurate freight cars as are available to
them, and be thankful for it. Kadee sells a lot of PS-1 and PS-2's for
that reason, even if most on the lists would not own up to it.

Further articles covering existing PS-1's, then, might be viewed as
being less interesting than those covering how to model some of the
PS-1's that have NOT been done by Kadee (and perhaps may never be done).
Another series/article might be those that cover the
not-available-in-RTR-nor-will-ever-be predecessor PS welded boxes
(PS-zero and others) and how to accurately model them. Unfortunately,
this requires one to do the models along with the research, or to show
how one might do it.

A niche largely unfilled to-date is a good discussion of the most common
cars each RR owned, by class, by era, so that one might model those
classes. While Ted has done ground-breaking work in covering
"signature" cars for many roads, his work is very era specific, and so,
has addressed only a portion of this large subject area. Rightly so, as
the bigger effort of taking on multiple eras would kill anyone. It may
be impossible for one person to do this, so it could be an effort taken
on by one group for each decade or so.

One approach that could be interesting:

1) present short history of each RR's fleet, with perhaps some
discussion about why each fleet was composed of what it was, and what
products they tended to originate and/or terminate (EX: The P&WV was an
interesting bridge route extending from X to Z. The P&WV had a limited
traffic base consisting primarily of coal, finished steel, and Y. They
interchanged with the following roads, at the following locations, and
their cars in interchange were seen primarily on roads in and around
Pgh, PA, but could have been seen rarely most anywhere. However, given
their dominant originating traffic, they would have primarily
interchanged their own cars, with coal loads, to the XYZ. Finished
steel traffic on the P&WV would have been primarily interchanged onto
the ABC at XYZ< for forwarding to auto assembly plants at LMN. They
interchanged X cars (by dates), in the following classes (ranked by
numbers in interchange), and....);

2) present numerical data on roads, classes, and dates (Primary classes
on the P&WV: box cars - early PS-1; dates and numbers in service;
post-war AAR - ditto; etc) ;

3) present photos of each important or numerous class, by era, if
possible, and covering each significant P&L scheme, with dates of
applicability (PS-1 in as-delivered scheme - 1948 to mid-to-late 50's
(1954-'58 or so) white on BCR...next);

4) present overview of modeling options for the most numerous classes on
each RR, decal info, paint, details;

5) present modeling article, or summary, on each class.

Finally, the approach we are taking in TKM (right or wrong) is to
present only as much info on each class to model it fairly accurately.
We have boiled it down to a short intro, proto history, class/subclass
numerical timeline, and how to model it, with pics. I would think that
more detailed articles, showing construction details and such, would
only appeal to a VERY small group of aficionados, so we have stopped
prior to that point. Classes that required more detail, like the X29,
were covered in more detail, and Ben rightly guessed that the infinite
details of this class were sought after by our readers. No one has yet
asked for more detail, just other subclasses, types of car, and most of
all, photos. But, TKM only covers the PRR. One road of many.

I realize it is a monumental task, but I suspect that is where we are
all headed, eventually.

Have a great day,

Elden Gatwood