Re: RP CYC

Richard Townsend

For my two cents, I think it would be useful to have in-depth coverage of a particular industry and the steam era freight car traffic it generated. The RMC articles on the tractor manufacturing company, and on Decker Meats are two good examples. RMJ did a nice one on a cement plant several years ago that I thought was a good start on understanding the freight flow of a specific industry type.

This would provide information on the proper mix of cars to serve an industry on the layout. For example, for a meat packer you might need two outbound reefers for every inbound stock car (I'm just making this up here), as well as a tenth of a box car for hides, a fiftieth for bone meal, a twentieth of a tank car for tallow, and a fifth of a hopper for coal.
--
Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, Oregon

Switch to Netscape Internet Service.