Re: Prototype Freight Cars in General

cvsne <mjmcguirk@...>

-
On Dec 22, 2005, at 1:39 PM, Charles Etheredge wrote:

One thing I wish the manufacturers would do is to indicate on
their
boxes the time period that particular car existed...time built
until
approximate disappearance. (
Richard,

I tried, without success, to do this when I was at InterMountain.

First of all, to be completely accurate you would, as you know,
have to indicate the era as a limited
window depending on the reweigh date on the model and the
date when the model would have to be reweighed -- so a car
with 9-14-46 as a reweigh could not be accurately listed as
"1940-1958", even though the scheme may be good for that
entire timespan.

I don't know if Matt has decided to put the era on labels -- I know
it's an uphill struggle for him -- and there are some other
logistical challenges he has to deal with beyond the level of
sales you mentioned. . .

And, to the "train set crowd won't care" I'll offer the following --
when Christine was selling fruit crate label cars as "Yesteryear"
there were a number of customers who were concerned about
the reweigh year on those cars . . . go figure.

Luckily, all I have to do now is buy and build models -- making all
this really academic -- but fun.

Marty McGuirk