From: "Alan C. Welch" <acwelch@interlog.com>
To: <STMFC@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Friday, 11 January, 2002 14:22
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Resin dust hazard?

: At 07:55 AM 12/01/2002 +1300, you wrote:
: >From: "Dave & Libby Nelson" <muskoka@ix.netcom.com>
: >
: >I asked. No replies. I checked the web and found some
descriptions of lung
: >inflammation from an allergic reaction to the dust but I
didn't see anything
: >about the adhesives.
: >
: >Interesting thread, Dave. I'm in the process of working
through some issues
: >at present which may point to mild silicosis. Xrays have
shown up some
: >fibrosis (scar tissue in lungs) which was not there three
years ago. In the
: >meantime I have switched fillers in the resins which I
mix myself. About
: >two years ago I switched to a lightweight filler which is
a colloidal silica
: >which translates into 'so fine that particles may be
airborne without you
: >being able to see them'. Now, my exposure is not great
and I don't think
: >much damage has been done. A CT scan next week should
confirm that with a
: >bit of luck.
: I don't know much about this issue but this factor has
rarely stopped me
: from commenting.
:
: Seems to me there are two phenomena here. One is the
effects of dust and
: the other is the effects of chemicals inhaled.
:
: If you are worried about dust, you should get a mask that
deals with
: particulates; if you are worried about fumes, get a mask t
hat deals with
: chemical fumes, there are different cartridges for each
hazard.
:
: Since we inhale a lot of particulate material every day,
the body can deal
: with removing most of it. As I understand it, materials
like silica and
: asbestos are shaped so that the body has trouble removing
them so they
: accumulate in the lungs. I suppose that some particulate
could also cause a
: toxic reaction too, but cured urethane is fairly inert, I
believe.
:
: I can certainly believe that ACC can cause an
irritation/allergenic
: reaction because it irritates my eyes.Could do so for the
lungs too?
:
: Al
:
:
:
: To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
:
:
:
: Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
:
: