Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2005 10:35:01 -0800
From: Tony Thompson <thompsonmarytony@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: freight car magazines

Ed Mines wrote:
Anyone know the story of the Kratville series of freight car magazines
printed around 1980?
Not sure what Ed means by "story" here. They are a most
miscellaneous collection of photos, obviously whatever Bill had at
hand, with many oddball cars and a certain number of railroad PR
photos, and sometimes erroneous captions. That said, they can be useful
sources of info. I have issues 1 through 5, which I think is all there
ever were. You see them for sale occasionally. Bill told me that the
sales were abysmal.

How about the "Freight Car Journal"? I subscribed (or was a member)
for a while but the subject matter didn't interest me - it was mostly
current stuff but every so often a pre1900 drawing would show up. This
magazine
(or society) is long defunct, right?
I'm not sure if it's still around, though someone on the list
will know. My reaction was exactly like yours: poor focus, and a
tendency to do contemporary cars (they did do a nice issue on the
historical IC fleet).

"Prototype Modeler" and it's predicessor regional magazines had a lot
of freight car articles. I was sorry when they stopped publishing.
Richard hendrickson wrote some articles for them. I wonder what the
story was?
Money (not enough of it) after it was sold. Richard Hendrickson
may want to add more.

Tony Thompson
FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar � get it now! http://toolbar.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200415ave/direct/01/