Re: Unproduced frt cars

Earl Tuson

Dave Nelson suggested:

* one or more single sheathed, low height boxcars, such as the C&NW 1921
standard;
I would suggest the 40' "Fowler" box cars. Available in urethane in HO (Westerfield,) styrene in O (San Juan) and TT (Gold Coast,) and soon in styrene in S (Gold Coast aka Pacific Rail Shops,) it might be a good injection molded car for HO, as similar cars were used by: CNW-7000 cars, CMO-1500, CRI&P-8200, D&RG-1500, M&StL-500 + 602 second hand, MR-15, and RF&P-200. Some RI cars also later went to Salzberg shortlines. Certainly, there are detail differences among the roads' cars (e.g. single sheathed ends on most with steel ends on all RF&P cars, the M&StL cars that came from RF&P, and some CRI&P cars.) However, keep in mind that these were from well before the era of standardized freight car designs (built from 1913 into the 1920's (I don't have the dates on the later steel end CRI&P cars handy.)) They shouldn't be any worse to tackle than an injection molded '32 ARA/AAR, and were numerically more significant when considering the total built.

Earl Tuson