Re: Stock Cars

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 27, 2005, at 1:34 PM, sshaffer wrote:

Livestock had to be off loaded every so many hours for feed and rest. On
the Santa Fe it was common practice to reload the livestock on a Santa Fe
car to continue the journey and send the foreign car home. So for now I see
no need for any but Santa Fe stock cars in the area I model. Though as I
gain knowledge of car movements, interchange, locations where the livestock
were fed and rested I may change my requirements.
Steve what area do you model? You're certainly correct that reloading stock into Santa Fe cars was common practice, but that assumes the stock was unloaded in the first place, which was often not the case (the rule was 18 hours, or 24 hours if the shipper signed a waiver, as many did). Offhand, I can't think of any part of the Santa Fe that wasn't frequented by off-line stock cars, as demonstrated by abundant photographic and documentary evidence.

Richard Hendrickson