Re: Stock Cars

ljack70117@...

On Dec 27, 2005, at 5:35 PM, Richard Hendrickson wrote:

On Dec 27, 2005, at 1:34 PM, sshaffer wrote:

Livestock had to be off loaded every so many hours for feed and rest.
On
the Santa Fe it was common practice to reload the livestock on a Santa
Fe
car to continue the journey and send the foreign car home. So for now
I see
no need for any but Santa Fe stock cars in the area I model. Though
as I
gain knowledge of car movements, interchange, locations where the
livestock
were fed and rested I may change my requirements.
Steve what area do you model? You're certainly correct that reloading
stock into Santa Fe cars was common practice, but that assumes the
stock was unloaded in the first place, which was often not the case
(the rule was 18 hours, or 24 hours if the shipper signed a waiver, as
many did). Offhand, I can't think of any part of the Santa Fe that
wasn't frequented by off-line stock cars, as demonstrated by abundant
photographic and documentary evidence.

Richard Hendrickson
When I was on the Un Pac in the late 40s and early 50s the on car time was 28 hours and 36 hours if release was signed. Also on both the Un Pac ad Santa Fe we put them back on the same cars they came off of.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@adelphia.net