Re: Stock Cars

Richard Hendrickson

On Dec 27, 2005, at 4:51 PM, Larry Jackman < ljack70117@adelphia.net>
wrote:

When I was on the Un Pac in the late 40s and early 50s the on car
time was 28 hours and 36 hours if release was signed. Also on both
the Un Pac ad Santa Fe we put them back on the same cars they came
off of.
Thanks for the correction, Larry; you're quite right about the
post-WW-II rules. The 18/24 hour rules I cited were in effect in
earlier years. 36 hours was ample time for the UP to get stock from
northern Utah to Los Angeles on its Day Livestock Service trains and
for the Santa Fe to move stock from New Mexico and Arizona to LA
without unloading the animals for food/water/rest – regardless of
whether they were in company or foreign-road stock cars.

Richard Hendrickson