Re: Stock Cars

ljack70117@...

On Dec 27, 2005, at 8:06 PM, Richard Hendrickson wrote:

On Dec 27, 2005, at 4:51 PM, Larry Jackman < ljack70117@adelphia.net>
wrote:

When I was on the Un Pac in the late 40s and early 50s the on car
time was 28 hours and 36 hours if release was signed. Also on both
the Un Pac ad Santa Fe we put them back on the same cars they came
off of.
Thanks for the correction, Larry; you're quite right about the
post-WW-II rules. The 18/24 hour rules I cited were in effect in
earlier years. 36 hours was ample time for the UP to get stock from
northern Utah to Los Angeles on its Day Livestock Service trains and
for the Santa Fe to move stock from New Mexico and Arizona to LA
without unloading the animals for food/water/rest – regardless of
whether they were in company or foreign-road stock cars.

Richard Hendrickson
One more thing. Those that were on the car for 36 hours could not be
reloaded for 10 hours. The sad part was they would be in such bad
shape from standing that long the all they wanted to do was lay down
and did not eat or drink for at least 8 hours and some were reloaded
in 10 hours with out taking water or food. It was a sad sight to see
them.
When we received car loads headed for the "Flint Hills" west of
Emporia and they were on short time they would get special handling.
We would have a train called, waiting for their train to arrive and
they would be out of town in less than one hour headed west to the
"Hills".
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@adelphia.net