Re: GSC "Commonwealth" 54' Flat Cars.

Tim O'Connor

Bill, I'd be happy to have more details on the Wabash cars.. I've seen
photos of both bulkhead and open deck cars but I don't think I've seen
a good view of the deck of either style. The Wabash bought them over a
3 year period so there may be differences between cars.

I have a scan of GM&O 72000 and I can see now that the depth of the
sides is shallower, although the overall profile is the same. Know of
any other examples of 50 ton 53'6" GSC flats?

Tim O'Connor

Not all GSC flats are created equal. These 1951 blt GM&O cars are 50 ton
cars and the side sill is different than the Walthers car. The steel
showing in the deck is also different. The deck of these '56 blt WABASH
cars is considerably different. The AT&SF 1952 Ft-W 93300-93499 and 1954
Ft-3 93500-93799 are very close to the Walthers car, the others I don't
know.

Later,
Bill Kelly