From: Don Worthy <don_worthy@yahoo.com>
Sent: Jan 13, 2006 5:09 AM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [STMFC] Re: C&O Auto Box car

Yes Ben, I mis read his orginal letter. The car number is to be "# 9742" and a "new date of 7-48". The box has #6770 but, doesn't have the instruction sheet but, does have decals.
I thought, that I was to use a Champ decal but, yesterday I received a decal "diagram" sheet. He has a check by one of the drawings labeled HB-114 and HD-12. Under the side drawing of the car has "Entire car painted Aluminum. Black trucks and underbody. All lettering Black". This is what I "really" question.
The picture on the box is b&w and looks all one color but, I wouldn't think it to be "silver".
Thanks guys and sorry I've mis read his note.

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
Don Worthy asked:
"Guys do any of you know of a photo of a C&O 40' auto-box car that I
could look at?"

The July/August 2005 issue of the C&OHS magazine "C&O History" has a
9-page article on the 9500-9599 series cars by Al Kresse with 8
photos of these cars. Additionally, the March 2005 issue has an
article on building the Funaro kit for this prototype. The modeling
article is well done with one notable exception - to save time on
building a second model, the author chose to replace the kit
underframe with a Central Valley stockcar underframe, which has
incorrect crossmembers, underframe details, and most noticeably, the
kingpin-to-striker distance.

"I'm building a F&C kit for a friend but, I do not know any thing
about the C&O painting and lettering for these cars. He wants it
numbered 44357 and has just sent a Champ decal set. Champ's
information has several different color schemes."

Where is your friend getting this information? 44357 is a bogus
number for the Funaro kit. I couldn't find any evidence of
renumberings. Which Champ set did he send you?

"Would this car have black ends, doors and roof?"

The only color photo that I could turn up was on the cover of the
July/August 2005 C&O History magazine. It's dated 1958. The doors
are NOT black; the roof is dark but appears to be grimy vice painted
black; the ends are impossible to tell as they are in shadow. The
black and white photos do NOT appear to show black ends or doors.

Ben Hom

Yahoo! Groups Links

Train travel Freight car Canada train travel Train travel in italy North american