Re: Freight car flooring

pullmanboss <tgmadden@...>

Pat Wider wrote:

According to the notes that Ed Hawkins and I took while examining
the AC&F bills of materials, there wasn't a single instance where
AC&F coated the wood decks of flat cars with any substance
whatsoever throughout the 1940s and 1950s. Creosote would have
been specified in the bills of materials. They are definitive.
I'm getting confused..... Early on in this thread mention was made of
Bill Schaumberg's clinic on tie treatment plants, wherein lumber is
pressure treated with creosote _before_ it is put to use. I took that
to mean the question was whether flat car decking was similiarly pre-
treated, not whether AC&F (or any other car builder or railroad) was
coating the decking after (or when) it was applied to the car. Do the
BOMs say anything about the deck planks, Pat??

Tom Madden