Re: Freight car flooring

Tony Thompson

Denny Anspach wrote:
Pentachlorophenol was a tremendously effective naturally-clear
anti-dry rot chemical - probably the most effective of all . . .
Because it was proven to be a powerful carcinogen about 25 years ago,
it has long disappeared from the market- and nothing has yet come
forward to take its place.
As I'm sure Denny knows, anything which is truly deadly to lots of simple organisms runs a good chance of being bad for US too. Nowadays molecules which provide a more "targeted" hit are the goal, but the broad-spectrum ones have mostly turned out to have evil consequences. I have a medical researcher friend whose statement about these various bad results was, "Well, duh."

Publishers of books on railroad history