From: STMFC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:STMFC@yahoogroups.com] On
Behalf Of Rod Miller
Sent: Wednesday, January 18, 2006 9:12 PM
To: STMFC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [STMFC] Re: Conversion percentages.

Hi Denny,

The method Jerry White showed me was to draw/tape a line that
was a specific length in the scale of the image to be
enlarged/reduced.
E.g., an O scale (1:48) drawing would have a line, say, 2.5
inches long which represents e.g. 10 feet.

Start with an approximate enlargement/reduction setting and
make a copy. Measure the length of the line on the copy and
determine its scale length for the scale you want. When the
line is 10 e.g. feet long in the scale you want, you have the
correct reduction/enlargement.

E.g., suppose you want to reduce an O scale (1/4 inch = 1
foot) drawing to S scale (3/16 inch = one foot, or 1/64 inch
= 1 inch).

A 10 foot long line in O scale is 10 1/4s or 2.5 inches long.

A 10 foot long line in S scale is 120 1/64s or 1 7/8 or 1.875.

When your line on the copy is 1.875 inches long the copy is
accurate for S scale.

IMHO that is more accurate than calculating a reduction/
enlargement percentage.

Regards,

Rod Miller

Message: 18
Date: Wed, 18 Jan 2006 13:51:26 -0800
From: Denny Anspach <danspach@macnexus.org>
Subject: Re: Conversion percentages.

Off hand, does anyone know what percent rule of thumb
reduction (e.g.
as would be set on a copying machine) to accurately reduce S-gauge
plans to HO (1:76 ---->1/87.1)?

Thanks!

Denny
--