Re: Unicel Cars

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

George Gounley wrote:
The recent discussion on the use of preservatives in railroad car construction caused me to wonder about the final disposition of the Unicel box cars. Would anyone know?

IIRC, besides the demonstrator, the Army ordered a couple of cars and the Saudis about 60.
Since the design was never approved for interchange by the AAR, the disposition of the single demonstrator seems somewhat uninteresting--possibly stored at Pressed Steel or scrapped. Did the Army use them overseas or on-base to avoid the interchange problem? (I'm assuming there was minimal interchange by the Saudi cars.)

Publishers of books on railroad history