Re: Digest Number 2920 (SAL DECALS)

Eugene Deimling <losgatos48@...>

24. Re: Decals for SAL 40ft PS-1 boxcars
From: "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...>

_____
______

Message: 23
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 18:19:22 -0800 (PST)
The Komar set in question is not appropriate if you want a pre-1962 slogan
scheme. The diagram in my Komar catalog clearly shows the scheme.

Gene Deimling
Los Gatos, CA

Message: 24
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 02:52:50 -0000
From: "benjaminfrank_hom" <b.hom@...>
Subject: Re: Decals for SAL 40ft PS-1 boxcars

Mark Heiden asked:
"I'm looking for decals to letter a Seaboard Air Line 40ft PS-1 boxcar
from series SAL 24000-24499, built October, 1948. The cars carried
slogans, 24000-24299 lettered The Route of Courteous Service, and
24300-24499 The Route of the Silver Comet. Would Champ HB-8 be
correct for the as-delivered Courteous Service scheme of cars 24000-
24299? Are there any decals that could be used for the Silver Comet
scheme of cars 24300-24499?"

Greg Komar set HO-64/O-64 is specifically designed for these cars.
They're available as both decals and dry transfers:
http://www.greatdecals.com/GregKomar.htm

I don't have the actual set, but if the diagram in Freight Car
Lettering Plan Book 1 reflects what's in the set, the lettering in the
set is for a Class B-8 10 ft IH 1937 AAR boxcar, not a PS-1.

Ben Hom

Message: 25
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 21:56:27 -0500
From: "George Gounley" <gounleys@...>
Subject: Unicel Cars

The recent discussion on the use of preservatives in railroad car
construction caused me to wonder about the final disposition of the Unicel
box cars. Would anyone know?

IIRC, besides the demonstrator, the Army ordered a couple of cars and the
Saudis about 60.

George Gounley
gounleys@...