Re: Another IM ACF type 27 question

oliver

Ugh!
Thanks Al and Richard! Well THAT explains why this car wasn't listed
in the RPCyc. I was kind of wondering why there wasn't any stenciling
on the sides of the tank!

Another one to strip and redo in something more plausible for my SP
layout.I really wish manufacturers would "get it" and stop this "paint
it in any scheme" nonsense! It's so frustrating having to ask if there
was a prototype everytime I open a kit and start working on a car. Nuts!

Thanks again guys!
Stefan Lerche'
Duncan,BC

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Richard Hendrickson <rhendrickson@o...>
wrote:

On Jan 23, 2006, at 2:43 AM, Al Brown wrote:

In Henderson's "Classic Freight Cars, vol 2", p 19, there's an in-
service photo of BEPX 105 and 121, dated 1973. The tanks have four
bands. The trucks are a little hard to see, but look like
generic "Bettendorfs" (i.e. not National B-1s, and I think not
Dalmans either). By that date the brakes are AB; I don't know
whether they're original equipment.
Even more to the point, since Stefan was inquiring about Intermountain
Type 27 models (if I understood his post correctly), those cars are
AC&F Type 21s as modeled by Life-Like. In fact, all twenty of
Belcher's tank cars were Type 21; they did not own any Type 27s. Also,
note that in the 1973 photo in Henderson the cars do not have any of
the weight, tank test, and mechanical stenciling required for
interchange, so they could not have gone off-line at that time (though
their earlier ORER listings indicate that they may have been used in
interchange earlier in life).

Even so, I'd be willing to bet that those Belcher cars didn't stray
very far from Miami, and that the white-with-red-stenciling scheme was
only applied late in life when they may have been used exclusively in
in-plant service and never left Belcher's property. I certainly
wouldn't expect to find any evidence of one on, say, Sherman Hill,
during the steam era.

Richard Hendrickson