Re: Above Roof Brake Wheels?

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Tim O'Connor wrote:
My bad Tony. They were required to be removed, and high brake wheels
on NEW CARS were prohibited after Jan 1, 1967. However, there was
no rule to lower brake wheels. The final implementation of removal
was eventually postponed to Dec 31, 1983 and did not apply to cars
with roof hatches.
But the original question, as I understood it, was whether the horizontal-wheel, above-the-roof hand brakes were ever outlawed. I seem to recall a requirement for power hand brakes (which of course can include horizontal wheels) on new cars, but were the vertical-staff ones ever required to be removed?

Anthony Thompson
2906 Forest Ave., Berkeley, CA 94705
(510) 540-6538; fax, (510) 540-1937;
e-mail: thompsonmarytony@sbcglobal.net