Re: left side grabs

Richard Hendrickson

On Jan 29, 2006, at 4:59 AM, pierreoliver2003 wrote:

I'm running into conflicting information within my resources here. Is
there a standard height from the rails for the left side grabs on the
1937 AAR boxcar? If so what is it?
Pierre, there may have been minor variations from one car to another,
but handhold (i.e., grab iron) height was regulated by the United State
Safety Appliances Act of 1911 and its subsequent amendments, which was
reprinted in every edition of the Car Builders' Cyclopedia. Height was
not specified above the rails, since this dimension changed with truck
spring compression, wheel wear, and other variables. Rather, it was
called out as distance above the center line of the couplers. For the
lower grab, that distance was a minimum of 24" and a maximum of 36".
After 1932, AAR rules (not federal safety standards) called for a
second grab at the left corner of each side located 24" above the lower
grab.

Richard Hendrickson