Re: PRR Projects Group H21

Rod Miller

[snip]

There were no H21's reported by UP Conductor Fraley in either his Fall
1947 or Spring 1949 Wheel Reports. Aberration? What was so special
about
coal mined on the Pennsy which would appeal to coal users west of the
Rockies in view of the high transportation costs?
Not necessarily anything... given the huge size of the fleet and the
fact that cars DID go off-line, there is certainly the chance that an
H21 would stray in much the same manner as say an N&W hopper... and
end up loaded with company coal headed over Sherman Hill. Since we
have been down this road before, I would also remind you that
individual mines did produce grades of coal that could be highly
sought after for industrial processes and there is the _potential_
that coal on the Pennsy might indeed be desired by a customer on the UP.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/
Page 52 of Gene Deimling's Southern Pacific Steam Switchers of the
Pacific Lines shows SP 0-6-0 1293 switching DT&I hopper 1437. The
location given is Tracy, CA; the date given is 1948.

Rod Miller