Re: molasses

Garth Groff <ggg9y@...>

Tim,

At the risk of getting a Mike Brock no-no, I will say that your description of the sugar refining process is essentially correct. The cane or beets are crushed, then cooked to drive off a highly concentrated sweet liquid. This is then centrifuged, probably more than once, depending on desired product, to remove the water and impurities. The intermediate steps are (IIRC from my tour of C&H 30 years ago) raw or turbinado sugar, brown sugar, and finally table white sugar.

At C&H they even poured the mop water from the floors back into the centrifuges (so we were told). They also noted that turbanado sugar, which is popular in the health trade, is the chemically the same as white sugar. It just has more dirt and rat droppings than the white stuff you get in the cute little packets with the train or sailing ship pictures on them.

Kind regards,

Garth G. Groff

timboconnor@... wrote:

Thanks Garth & Tony, I didn't know that. I think molasses is the first step
in sugar processing, whether cane or sugar beets (or wood pulp). I think
when it is evaporated its becomes "brown sugar" (not the kind you buy in
the Safeway, which is refined white sugar with molasses added back) and
then it takes further refining to clarify it and crystalize it as white sugar.
I can see why the canneries would not want to use molasses in their
canned fruit, since the molasses has color and flavor that would not go
well with peaches or pears!