Re: molasses

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Garth Groff wrote:
The cane or beets are crushed, then cooked to drive off a highly concentrated sweet liquid. This is then centrifuged, probably more than once, depending on desired product, to remove the water and impurities. The intermediate steps are (IIRC from my tour of C&H 30 years ago) raw or turbinado sugar, brown sugar, and finally table white sugar.
Maybe you can correct me, Garth, but my understanding is that C&H (in the time period of this list) received raw liquid concentrate from first processing of cane (from both Hawaii and elsewhere) and refined it into various sugar products. These included not only the dry or "table" sugar products listed above, but liquid sugar for other food processors. It was the case in the 1950s that most refined dry sugar was shipped in cartons (containing either supermarket box containers, or the little packets Garth mentioned), with some bulk shipment in bulk in converted box cars. Early in the 1960s, the advent of "Airslide" and related covered hopper technologies took over the bulk dry shipping, but that's off the end of this list.
Several kinds of liquid sugar, different syrup densities and possibly different degrees of refinement, were shipped in bulk in tank cars. There are photos from around 1960 of those SP tank cars in long strings at the C&H plant in Crockett, and if you pass there today on the "Capitol Corridor" train to and from Sacramento from the Bay Area (how I get to CSRM: required research content), you will still see tank cars and covered hoppers being loaded, along with box cars.

Publishers of books on railroad history