From: "Dave & Libby Nelson" <muskoka@...>
To: <STMFC@...>
Sent: Thursday, 17 January, 2002 01:21
Subject: RE: [STMFC] Resin dust hazard?

:
: > -----Original Message-----
: > From: Jeff Aley - GCD PE [mailto:jaley@...]
:
: > I assume that you are already familiar with
Manufacturer's Safety
: > Data Sheets (MSDS). If not, my (feeble) understanding
is that all
: > manufacturers of chemicals are required to publish an
MSDS that describes
: > the hazards and toxicities of their products.
: >
: > It may be worth your while to contact the ACC
manufacturer and
: > request an MSDS; you may also be able to obtain the
proper MSDS from the
: > resin kit manufacturers. If they are reluctant to
reveal exactly which
: > resin they are using, then perhaps they can obtain the
MSDS for you.
:
: I'm becomming familiar with this information. I have a
good idea of exactly
: what is in the resin -- the short name is isocyanates and
there is a whole
: family of compounds (CAS 101-68-8:
4,4'-Methylenediphenyldiisocyanate is
: typical) the choice and mix of which determine whether the
resulting resin is
: a foam, or hard, or soft and flexible, etc. What is
befuddling tho is
: everything I find about sensitivities involve either the
original liquid
: (a.k.a. part A in the resinators inventory) or the
accidental release of
: isocyanates from cured resin via application of heat.
I've seen dangerous
: temperature ranges cited are from a low of 150F to a high
of around 400F. All
: MSDS sheets comment that it's a really bad idea to have
this stuff around food
: (n.b., it appears the standard kit flatening
recommendation of 150F in the
: oven is an extremely bad idea). But again, that's the
original compound.
: It's supposed to be chemically inert when parts A and B
are cured into the
: hardened resin, released again only when heated or burned.
:
: As I have never done casting, nor heated kit parts, I'm
wondering if it may
: have been the inadvertant ingestion of dust particles from
sanding (I normally
: work with parts very close to my face as I wear a 7x
optivisor). I'm hoping I
: can control the environment well enough to allow me to
continue building resin
: kits.
:
: Dave Nelson
:
:
: To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
:
:
:
: Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
:
: