Re: Super Glue

ljack70117@...

On Feb 9, 2006, at 11:54 AM, Bruce Smith wrote:

On Feb 9, 2006, at 10:21 AM, Gene Green wrote:
I've tried a variety of brands over the years although last night's
attempt was with the Super Glue Co brand. This morning it is still
jelly-like and somewhat sticky. The next two tubes on hand are Duro
brand.
Was it jelly-like when you opened it? When you used it last night?

I've heard that moisture acts as a catalyst to help cyanoacrylate cure
or harden or whatever it is supposed to do. Is this true? The
humidity is 14% this morning.
No! Moisture interferes with ACC curing and bonding. All parts
should be dry and no water should be introduced.
Sorry Bruce but the moisture in the air is what sets up the super glue. The original brand was Eastman. I find it to be the best. There was a TV show on PBS last night about it. Two guys in Tennessee discovered it by accident and Eastman put it on the market.
How long is the shelf-life of this stuff?
Where I live (alabama), about 6 months or less. You can increase
this by keeping it in the fridge. I buy the cheapest stuff I can and
usually throw away half a bottle or so.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@adelphia.net