Re: Super Glue

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Bruce Smith wrote:
Note that this is not a fusion
bond like plastic cement, so enough shear force can usually break it,
and smooth surfaces are weaker bonders as well.
In fact, the super glue joint is remarkably weak in shear, compared to tension. We take advantage of this in mechanical testing by using super glue to attach the holders for clip gauges. After testing, just strike them sharply in shear and they pop off.
I agree with the rest of Bruce's summary. It fits with my experience. I'm guessing that the glue Gene used was too old.

Publishers of books on railroad history