Re: Super Glue

ljack70117@...

Water Vapor, trace water and water in liquid form is to me water. You are just playing with words.
The same applies for resin. Water vapor, trace water, water in liquid form or moisture will make it foam. You need a dry room and as dry as you can make it or keep the resin stored under a nitrogen envelope to keep it from foaming.
On Feb 9, 2006, at 12:35 PM, Bruce Smith wrote:

On Feb 9, 2006, at 11:13 AM, ljack70117@adelphia.net wrote:

On Feb 9, 2006, at 11:54 AM, Bruce Smith wrote:
No! Moisture interferes with ACC curing and bonding. All parts
should be dry and no water should be introduced.
Sorry Bruce but the moisture in the air is what sets up the super
glue. The original brand was Eastman. I find it to be the best. There
was a TV show on PBS last night about it. Two guys in Tennessee
discovered it by accident and Eastman put it on the market.
Larry,

Water VAPOR or trace water (ie hydrated hydrophillic molecules)
causes it to set up. That's why it goes bad in the tube. BTW, it
isn't water specifically, but ANY weak base that counteracts the weak
acid in the ACC. Water in the liquid form however interferes with
the ability of ACC to make a bond. I know from both modeling and
operating room experience. If you try to glue pieces of a body back
together with blood on them, it doesn't work. The surfaces must be
free of blood to get a good bond. (BTW I won't say if the preceding
was the OR or modeling experience <G>)

I did make one error. Acetone is the debonder, not the active
ingredient in the accelerator. The active ingredient in the
accelerators consists of a weak base in a carrier of isopropyl
alcohol or acetone.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce F. Smith
Auburn, AL
http://www.vetmed.auburn.edu/~smithbf/

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin
Franklin
__
/ &#92;
| O--O &#92;0 0 0 0/ O--O | 0-0-0 0-0-0