Re: Super Glue

Dennis Storzek <dstorzek@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Smith <smithbf@...> wrote:

...I love it when Mike
Rose sells "Cyanopoxy" and claims it isn't ACC. Funny thing is that
the EXACT same accelerator works with it, and the Cyanopoxy folks
provide it in a nice convenient spray bottle (expensive too).
I, donno, if it's ACC, it's ACC on steroids.

In fact, the super glue joint is remarkably weak in shear,
compared to tension. We take advantage of this in mechanical testing by
using super glue to attach the holders for clip gauges. After testing,
just strike them sharply in shear and they pop off.
My experience comes from gluing blocks of graphite to 20mm diameter steel shanks for use as EDM electrodes. We originally used any old "super glue", they all seemed to work just as well. One problem we used to have, however, was aligning the index pin square to the edges of the block, since the super glue grabbed the instant it touched whether the shank was properly aligned or not. We changed to Cyanopoxy to take advantage of it's longer open time, which ends when the "kicker" is sprayed.

When using super glue, occasionally if a 'trode was bumped, the glue line would shear and the graphite drop off; very disconcerting. This problem ended when we switched to Cyanopoxy. To reclaim the shanks when all the usable graphite was machined away, we used to simply hold the shank and rap the edge of the graphite on the bench, and they'd pop apart. First time I did this with one attached with Cyanopoxy, it bounced. It bounced the second, third, and fourth time, also. We now hit them with a brass hammer, which fractures the graphite, leaving a cone of graphite still attached to the shank, which we grind off on the surface grinder.

The basic chemistry of Ctanopoxy may be the same as cyanoacrylate, but the physical properties are much better.

Dennis Storzek