Re: Super Glue

Denny Anspach <danspach@...>

Gene Green's post really got my attention if for the only reason I have had the identical frustrations with ACC, and he beat me to actually making an inquiry!

In my view, the promotion of ACC as the best thing in modeling since sliced bread has been at times fairly uncritical overall, and definitely overblown. The poor shear strength pointed out by Tony is only amplified by its short shelf life once opened, and the resulting very high expense.

How many bottles, tubes, etc. full of expensive varieties of Pacer ACC and others have I thrown out over the years? How long did it take me to realize that the jelly-like stuff coming out of the already-opened "Super-Thin" bottle not only would not dry, but when it did, it would not hold an Athearn rivet in place over night? There is not a single word anywhere cautioning short shelf life and/ or what this might possibly mean to the gluing qualities.

I feel that most of us (not all) do not really do enough steady modeling at such a productive pace that we will work entirely through one of these containers. In this regard I respect Andy S' and others recommendations to simply purchase inexpensive thin ACC in the smallest individual containers- and then be comfortable in simply disposing at will after a week or so.

The suggestion to keep the opened ACC containers in the freezer is a good one, and I already keep a small variety of other expensive short-shelf-life materials in there (Dinner time. I hear the freezer door open. Then- "What... is THIS??"). However, will the moisture content be low enough that it would not still be an issue, despite the low temperature?

I rely on a variety of glues, each of which has its pluses and minuses. Since I have learned how to apply Barge cement in very tiny drops, I have actually been using it to substitute for ACC at selected times and situations- particularly with resin kits and when dealing with engineering plastics.

Denny
--
Denny S. Anspach, MD
Sacramento