Re: MKT 76001-77500 boxcar details

Mark Heiden

Hi Ted,

Thanks for the paint info. Were the underframes and trucks also
painted yellow?

Thanks,
Mark Heiden

--- In STMFC@..., Ted Culotta <tculotta@...> wrote:

On Feb 9, 2006, at 1:35 PM, Mark Heiden wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have a couple of questions regarding some MKT single-sheathed
boxcars, series MKT 76001-77500, as they were circa 1948. There
is
a photo of MKT 76666 on page 9 in the February 1988 issue of
Model
Railroading, and on the pay side of the NEB&W website:

http://railroad.union.rpi.edu/rolling-stock/Box-cars/40-foot-
single-
sheathed/Bettendorf-types/XM-ss-bettendorf-MK&T-ACF.jpg

So, my questions are:

1. The sides and ends of these cars were painted yellow with
black
lettering. One source indicates they had boxcar red or brown
roofs.
Does anyone know if this is correct?
Either all yellow sides, roof and ends or all box car red roofs,
sides
and ends.

3. What sort of brakes were more common, KC or AB, by 1948?
I would wager that it was mixed, but Tom Palmer probably knows how
aggressive the katy was about adopting AB brakes on these cars.
He can
chime in.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
645 Tanner Marsh Road, Guilford, CT 06437
info@...
www.speedwitch.com
(650) 787-1912