Re: Tim's contact glue advice

oliver

I would concur with Andy carlson. My experience has been similar. It
is not always necessary to coat both sides unless you have a large
surface area to work with.
Stefan Lerche'
Duncan, BC

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, Andy Carlson <midcentury@...> wrote:

Tim,
Though almost all contact cement manufacturers
(probably all, actually)direct the user to coat both
pieces to be joined, I frequently deviate from that
advice. I have had really good results in attaching
etched running boards to (plastic) roofs by simply
applying micro-amounts of Barge's cement solely to the
runningboard saddles placing the car up-side down
righted with a machinists square. The weight of the
car kept the runningboard in contact throughout the
curing process, and the glass table-top kept the
running board very straight. Bonds of 8 years ago are
still holding up quite well.

-Andy Carlson
Ojai CA
--- Tim O'Connor <timboconnor@...> wrote:

Ed

This should be tattooed on the inside of model
railroader's
eyelids:

GOO is a CONTACT CEMENT. It must be applied to
both parts
to be joined and allowed to DRY (tacky) first,
before the
parts are joined.