Re: Carbide drill bits?

ljack70117@...

On Feb 11, 2006, at 9:05 AM, engnut2004 wrote:

Hi, all,

I'm mostly a listener but was wondering if anyone can comment on using
carbide drill bits in the #60 to #80 range. Are they too brittle?
Can they be used in hand-held chucks? I see sets of them at
attractive prices on e-bay but wonder if (at least in the small sizes
mentioned above) they are practical for model car building.

TIA,

George Pierson
Carbide drills are brittle and are not as sharp as HSS. Carbide will not sharpen as sharp. Just the nature of carbide. You are wasting your money because they cost more than HSS. AS a machinist I would never use one for any thing with a Rockwell of less than 56 and never hand drill with one. They should be run at high speed.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@adelphia.net