Re: Carbide drill bits?

Don Worthy

Guys I just received 3 packs of the "e-bay" bits. I don't know what type steel they are or even if they'er steel at all!!!!!
I've tried them and they are some dull...they won't go through plastic. Two broke so quick...I didn't even get a hole started!!!!
They are Chinese that is the only markings or information marked on the boxes.

They aren't even worth the chip price!!!!
Don Worthy
Ivey, Ga.

ljack70117@adelphia.net wrote:

On Feb 11, 2006, at 9:05 AM, engnut2004 wrote:

Hi, all,

I'm mostly a listener but was wondering if anyone can comment on using
carbide drill bits in the #60 to #80 range. Are they too brittle?
Can they be used in hand-held chucks? I see sets of them at
attractive prices on e-bay but wonder if (at least in the small sizes
mentioned above) they are practical for model car building.

TIA,

George Pierson
Carbide drills are brittle and are not as sharp as HSS. Carbide will
not sharpen as sharp. Just the nature of carbide. You are wasting
your money because they cost more than HSS. AS a machinist I would
never use one for any thing with a Rockwell of less than 56 and never
hand drill with one. They should be run at high speed.
Thank you
Larry Jackman
ljack70117@adelphia.net

Train travel Freight car Canada train travel Train travel in italy North american