Re: Carbide drill bits?

ljack70117@...

On Feb 11, 2006, at 10:53 AM, Jack Burgess wrote:

Larry wrote:
As a machinist I would never use one for any thing with a Rockwell of less
than 56 and never hand drill with one.
This is about carbide. HSS is always sharper than carbide so HSS will drill faster and better than carbide in your plastic, resin or what ever when drilling by hand.!!!!!!!!!

Part of the original question was about hand drilling with #61-80 bits. I
would disagree with a blanket statement about hand drilling with small
bits...I won't hand drill in steel and hand drilling in brass could take all
day but hand drilling plastic or resin is not a problem.

Jack Burgess
www.yosemitevalleyrr.com
Thank you
Larry Jackman