Re: Decals.

benjaminfrank_hom <b.hom@...>

Arnold van Heyst asked:
"I know there are some solvents available that will fix a decal to
its surface. But what was it?"

There are three products widely used by both scale modelers and
model railroaders:

Walthers Solvaset
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/904-470

Champ Decal-Set
http://www.minot.com/~champ/other.htm

Microscale Micro-Sol and Micro-Set
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/460-105
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/460-104

The Walthers and Champ setting solutions are formulated for older
decals with thicker film and are very strong. DO NOT USE THESE FOR
INITIAL APPLICATION OF THINFILM DECALS. However, they can be
carefully used for final working of thinfilm decals.

Micro-Sol and Micro-Set are designed specifically for Microscale's
decals and work very well with them and other thinfilm decals;
however, they don't touch thicker decals.

I recommend keeping a supply of Solvaset or Decal Set and the
Microscale products on hand if you're serious about decalling
models. See Ted Culotta's Essential Freight Cars sidebar "Applying
Decals" in the June 2003 issue of Railroad Model Craftsman for more
information.

Ben Hom