Re: Athearn PS-2 and hatch spacing variations questions

Chet French <cfrench@...>

--- In STMFC@yahoogroups.com, "lnbill" <bwelch@...> wrote:

I received yesterday an undecorated Athearn PS-2 that I had ordered
and
generally I think it is well engineered. I was disappointed that
the
grab irons that form the end and side ladders were molded on.
Because
of the type of car, and the way the parts are designed, these will
not
be difficult to remove, but I would not have minded not having to
drill
more holes, and building yet again another jig to bend an odd width
of
wire.

I plan to build both Wabash and Illinois Central versions
eventually,
as these are examples good for my period, but I thought I would
need to
do work on the roof to change the spacing of the roof hatches. The
way
the roof is molded this would be very easy. The photo I have of an
early Wabash example is a threequarter shot, so I cannot judge
precisely, but the hatch spacing on that photo appears to match
that on
the model. I have not ordered a back issue yet of RMJ w/Ed Hawkins
article, but I am wondering which PS-2's had hatch spacing that
differs
from this model?

Bill,

Ed Hawkins states in his article that four early series of three-bay
PS-2's had their intermediate hatches one foot closer to the cars
centerline (10 feet 9-3/4inches spacing). These cars were built from
December 1953 to February 1954 for the CB&Q, CIL. T&NO, and the
Wabash. The Wabash cars were in the 31000-31039 series. Additional
Wabash cars built in 1956 and 57 had the 11 feet 9-3/4 inch spacing.
IC 79100-79199 were built in Sept.1955 with the 11 feet 9-3/4 inch
spacing.

Chet French
Dixon, IL