Re: Freight Car Trucks - when?

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Jim Betz wrote:
When were the various truck types introduced? Arch Bar,
Andrews, Bettendorf, Bettendorf T-section, Barber S-2, etc.
And the other side of the coin ... when did they go out of
favor (stop being common)?
How long after the all-cast trucks were introduced were they
essentially used on all new cars being built?
Why was there a Bettendorf and also a T-section Bettendorf?

So has any one written this up some where? Is it online or
in some book I need to study?
RPCyc no. 4 is your best bet, Jim. Unfortunately, it's OOP as I recall. There is also Richard's earlier version of that article, in the 1990 Pittsburgh NMRA National clinic book.
Arch bar trucks were in use at the time of the Civil War, and were finally banned from interchange in 1940. Cast steel truck sideframes really were first introduced in the first few years of the 20th century. If you have access to a series of Car Builders' Cycs, you can see the various models. Among the earliest of these were the Bettendorf L- and T-section designs, though the T-section most modelers recognize is a later revision. These were found to crack excessively and were removed from service in the 1950s (I forget the date off hand). The U-section truck, including the Bettendorf design (all other truck makers also made very similar U-section trucks, conforming to ARA and then AAR standards), appeared by WW I and was widely adopted in the 1920s. Certainly by 1930 they were universal for new cars.
The different snubber and stabilizer designs, starting with the various iterations of the Barber design, began in the 1930s. After WW II, these became widespread if not standard, particularly the ASF A-3 truck version, along with the National C-1 and others.
This is extremely brief and without much specific on dates, Jim, and you really do need to read something detailed and authoritative. Richard Hendrickson's articles are your best bet.

Publishers of books on railroad history