Re: Freight Car Trucks - when?

Anthony Thompson <thompson@...>

Jim Betz wrote:
Tony and others,
I just read thru the RP Cyc #4 article and it is "big on spotting
characteristics but not so big on dates". I was able to get some
dates out of it but I'd really like to have more precise info - and
then lay it out in some kind of table/graph that shows when trucks
of a particular design were actually in both production and use ...
and when they weren't.
Richard H. - are you out there? Do you have a table/graph you would
like to share? There are a lot of dates in Cyc #4 that are given as
"in the first decade" and similar fuzziness. It's been over 5 years
since Cyc #4 was published and a bit longer since you developed your
clinic. Do you have additional info now?
Jim, I can't speak for Richard, but I would say that things aren't so cut and dried that you can specify exact dates for many of the things you want to know. Introduction date of a particular truck, sure; but widespread adoption date, a bit more fuzzy. Likewise, a date when a ban went into effect is exact, but of course usage declined before that; and some truck designs simply became obsolete or superseded by better ones over a period of time. IMO you will just have to understand that "fuzziness" is part of the history.

Publishers of books on railroad history