Fishbelly hoppers on Anthracite roads, and angle of repose for coal

Mark Heiden

Hello everyone,

A quick check of the NEB&W website revealed fishbelly hoppers in the
following numbers on anthracite hauling roads in 1949:

CNJ/CRP: 999 cars in one number series

D&H: 2993 cars in five number series

LV: 936 cars in two number series

RDG: between 2334-3334 cars in four number series (one series with
numbers for 1000 cars is listed, with no car total; however, this
series was built in 1944, so it may be near 1000 cars)

The NEB&W website gives the reason for building fishbelly hoppers as
being the ability to get a greater volume per car as compared to
a "normal" hopper. I looked for information on the angle of repose of
coal, and found that for anthracite it is between 30-35 degrees, and
for bituminous it is 35-40 degrees (a CTSB accident report lists
bituminous as 37 degrees at 11% moisture). However, the size of the
coals will also affect the angle of repose, so perhaps home heating
anthracite required cars with a steeper slope sheet. Measuring the
angles of the slope sheets would be necessary to be certain.

Mark Heiden

--- In STMFC@..., "Jerry Dziedzic" <jerdz@...> wrote:

--- In STMFC@..., "jim_mischke" <jmischke@> wrote:

I am under the impression that the flow characteristics are
different for anthracite and bituminous. In order to be self
clearing, cars loaded with anthracite need a steeper slope sheet
angle. Hence the common fishbelly hoppers amongst the anthracite
roads.
Interesting. I can't confirm this, and I can't refute it. However,
ERIE rostered no fishbelly hoppers (assuming we're referring to the
design that the Stewart model is based on). DL&W, "The Road of
Anthracite", didn't, either.