Re: URTX 35521 was MDT reefer

Roger Hinman <rhinman@...>

thanks for correct identifying this; another feature of the despatch end
was a 5-3-1 corrugation whereas I believe the referenced car is 4-4

roger Hinman

On Feb 24, 2006, at 9:01 PM, Ted Culotta wrote:

On Feb 24, 2006, at 7:49 PM, Roger Hinman wrote:

The despatch end wasn't introduced that early so if the photo date is
correct, the adjacent car
is probably not MDT

Roger Hinman
On Feb 24, 2006, at 3:53 PM, dickybee2000 wrote:

I have Bob's Photo #FURTX 6 of URTX 35521 purchased from him in
Naperville a couple of years ago. It was photographed on 9-14-51 in
Fayetteville, N.C.
URTX 35521 is a General American product based upon the General
American "standard" steel refrigerator first introduced in 1936. The
first cars had articulated hinges and flat riveted ends and roofs.
Later cars, like URTX 35521, had the ends with the rectangular
corrugations (similar to the MDT corrugation, though not the same to my
eye) in the ends and more traditional hinges, but retained the flat
roofs. These cars were originally leased to the Milwaukee. By the
early 1950s many were being leased to M&StL. Many, maybe all, were
rebuilt in the 1950s with what appear to be Improved Dreadnaught ends
and Murphy diagonal panel roofs. These rebuilds were leased to packing
companies among other lessees.

Regards,
Ted Culotta

Speedwitch Media
645 Tanner Marsh Road, Guilford, CT 06437
info@...
www.speedwitch.com
(650) 787-1912

Yahoo! Groups Links